WHAT DO THE GRADES MEAN?
Motor oils use a rating system developed by SAE, which is the Society of Automotive Engineers, to classify oil by viscosity. We’re all used to seeing designations like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30, so let’s talk about what they really mean.
For multi-grade viscosity motor oils, the cold-temperature viscosity is labelled with a “W,” which stands for “winter.” Thus, in an SAE 10W-30 motor oil, the “10” is the cold-temperature viscosity rating and the “30” is the high-temperature viscosity rating. This combination provides a motor oil that flows well at low temperatures, but still protects the engine at high temperatures.
For comparison’s sake, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-30 will flow better at even lower temperatures than 10W-30 while still providing protection at high temperatures. Just remember, the “W” stands for winter.
Please refer to your owner’s manual or our Motor Oil Selector tool to ensure you are using the recommended motor oil for your vehicle.
Conventional Motor Oil
Pennzoil® motor oil actively cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the first oil change.1 One more reason more people trust Pennzoil® than any other oil.2
Cleansing and Protection
Pennzoil® motor oil is a traditional oil base, fortified with Active Cleansing Agents™ to continuously prevent dirt and contaminants from turning into performance-robbing deposits, helping to keep your engine clean and responsive. In fact, Pennzoil® motor oil cleans out up to 40% of sludge in the first oil change and keeps cleaning all the way to your next oil change.1
1Based on a severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30.
2Based on a survey of licensed drivers conducted by a leading research firm. January 2005–December 2010.
Benefits of Pennzoil® Conventional Motor Oil
- No leading conventional oil helps keep engines cleaner 1
- No leading conventional oil provides better wear protection2
- Backed by the Pennzoil® Lubrication Limited Warranty
1Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30.
2Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.
Conventional Motor Oil
Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
- Exceeds API SN and all previous categories and ILSAC GF-5
- Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A/WSS-M2C930-A, Chrysler MS6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20)
- Meets Ford WSS-M2C946-A/WSS-M2C929-A, Chrysler MS-6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 5W-30)
- Meets Chrysler MS6395 and GM 6094M (SAE 10W-30)
- Meets service fill requirements of most Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia and other Asian and Japanese vehicles
Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.
FREE coverage up to 10 years/300,000 miles
- Free warranty with purchase of any Pennzoil® motor oil
- Coverage up to 300,000 miles or 10 years (whichever is first) if you exclusively use Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil Gold™, Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® or Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil
- Easy to enroll
- Covers 15 critical engine parts
- Completely transferable to future owner
- Customized for each driver’s specific OEM recommended oil change schedule
- Offers convenient reminders when it’s time to change your motor oil